Dental Crowns Opelika AL
Dental crowns are one of the most popular dental procedures, and for good reason. They offer a versatile and durable solution for a variety of dental problems. Whether you need to protect a weak tooth from further damage, or you want to improve the appearance of a misshapen tooth, a dental crown can provide an ideal solution.
What is a dental crown?
A dental crown is a tooth-shaped “cap” that is placed over a tooth to cover the tooth and restore its shape and size. A dental crown can also be used to improve the appearance of a tooth, or to protect a weak or damaged tooth from further damage.
Why would I need a dental crown?
There are several reasons why you might need a crown. These reasons include:
- Protecting a weakened tooth from further damage
- Restoring a tooth that is damaged or has been worn down
- Improving the appearance of a misshapen or discolored tooth
- Attaching a dental bridge
- Covering a dental implant
- Covering a tooth that had a root canal
What are dental crowns made of?
Dental crowns can be made from several different materials, including:
- Porcelain: They can be made to match the color of your tooth. Porcelain has a very natural look and feel to it.
- Ceramic: They can also be made to match the color of your tooth. Ceramic crowns are less likely to chip or crack than porcelain crowns.
- Gold: Gold crowns are very durable, but they are also very expensive and are generally reserved for molars since they are less visible and very durable.
- Base metal alloys: Base metal alloys are a good choice for back teeth since they are very durable. They are also less expensive than gold crowns.
- Composite resin: Composite resin crowns are made to match the color of your tooth. They are less expensive than porcelain and ceramic crowns, but they are also not as durable.
What is the procedure like?
The dental crown procedure generally takes two visits to the dentist. During the first visit, the tooth will be prepared for the dental crown. This involves removing any decay or damaged tooth material, and shaping the tooth so that the dental crown can be placed over it.
A dental impression will be made of your prepared tooth, which will be used to create your crown. In some cases, a temporary crown will be placed over your prepared tooth until your permanent dental crown is ready.
During your second visit, the dentist will remove the temporary crown (if you had one placed) and place the permanent dental crown over your prepared tooth. The crown will be checked for fit, and then it will be cemented into place.
How long do crowns last?
Dental crowns can last for many years, but they may eventually need to be replaced. Taking good care of your oral health can go a long way to helping a crown last much longer.
The material they are made from will also play a role as well. Porcelain and ceramic crowns are more durable than composite resin crowns.
At our dental office in Opelika, AL, we offer a wide range of crown materials, from natural-looking porcelain to strong and durable metal. We will work with you to determine the best material for your needs and budget.
If you are considering a dental crown, we invite you to contact East Alabama Dental Group in Opelika, AL today!