Saving a tooth is impossible in some instances, and in those cases you will need a tooth extraction. If you are in need of a tooth extraction, the dental professionals at East Alabama Dental Group can help.
We offer tooth extractions for patients in Opelika, AL and the surrounding areas. This may be necessary if you have a tooth that is severely damaged or decayed, or if you have an infection. Our team at East Alabama Dental Group will work diligently to ensure that your tooth extraction is as comfortable and stress-free as possible.
How do I know if I need a tooth extraction?
There are a few reasons why you may need a tooth extraction. Here’s a list of things to look for:
- Persistent pain. If you have a toothache that will not go away, there’s a chance you will need a tooth extraction. There is also a chance it could be saved, but you should see a dentist right away for an accurate assessment on the tooth.
- Swelling around the tooth and/or jaw. This is a strong sign of infection. An abscess usually forms in these situations. If you are experiencing swelling, it will also often be accompanied with pain and tenderness as well.
- Severely damaged or cracked tooth. If you damage your tooth badly enough, you will need an extraction in order to relieve the pain and treat the infection properly.
- Untreated cavities. Cavities do not improve on their own. You need professional dental help to save a tooth. Without timely treatment, a cavity will become worse and worse leading to a situation where you can lose the tooth. While cavities are often only able to be seen on X-Rays, sometimes you can see them with the naked eye as well. Especially if they get really bad.
- Wisdom teeth. If you don’t have your wisdom teeth removed in your later teen years, they can become a problem in your adult years. Not only can they become troublesome and painful, but they can also negatively impact your other teeth.
What types of tooth extractions are there?
The first is a simple dental extraction where the tooth that needs to be removed is already above the gum line. These are generally easier to remove.
The second type is known as a surgical dental extraction. This is where the dentist is required to cut into your gums in order to gain access to the tooth. He will cut the tooth into sections so that it is easier to remove.
Why you should see a dentist right away if you think you need a tooth extraction
There are a couple of reasons to see a dentist right away. The first is obvious, to relieve the pain you are likely experiencing. Secondly, there is a chance the tooth could be saved if you act quickly. Lastly, the pain and infection will only get worse until it is treated.
East Alabama Dental Group is here to help you get a tooth extraction in Opelika, AL. If you are in need of an extraction or are just experiencing pain, don’t suffer any longer. Get quick relief from the caring dental professionals at East Alabama Dental Group. Call and schedule your appointment today!